How to Get Discounts on Car Insurance
Your insurance premium is determined by many factors, such as your driving skills, past driving records, age, and general car safety. The more of a “risk” you come across to an insurance company, the more expensive your car insurance will be. Because of this fact, insurance companies often offer discounts to drivers they see as a “better risk”. These people are less likely to file an expensive claim when they are compared to higher risk drivers.
Many of these discounts are common across multiple insurance companies, while others are specific to only a few. While you may be offered a few discounts upon receiving a quote, it is definitely in your best interest to specifically ask your insurance agent for a list of discounts they offer. There are some discounts that you will not be offered until you ask. Auto insurance can be very expensive, so it would be beneficial to take advantage of all of the discounts you can get.
Here is a comprehensive list of common auto discounts to inquire about with your insurance provider:
- Bundling Discount: Many insurance companies offer a “bundling discount” to customers who purchase more than one type of insurance through them. By getting multiple insurance policies, such as homeowner’s, auto, and life all from the same provider, you can effectively receive a discount on all of them.
- Club Membership Discount: Certain clubs or organizations offer discounted auto insurance to their members. This discount will usually be presented to you prior to joining the organization but if it is not, it could be beneficial to inquire about any possible discount programs.
- Defensive Driver Discount: Auto insurance companies like to see that their customers are constantly working to be better drivers, and they will reward this behavior with discounts. This is because, statistically, drivers who have taken driving courses are involved in fewer accidents than their less-educated counterparts. By taking a “defensive driving” course, you could save around 10% on your insurance.
- Equipment Discount: Installing safety and security features on your car is a great way to prevent accidents and theft, but it is also a great way to save money on your auto insurance. Features such as airbags, anti-lock brakes, rear view cameras, and daytime running lights make you much less of a risk to insurance companies and, consequently, can save you some serious cash.
- Good Student Discount: If you are a full time student between the ages of 16-25, you are eligible for a good student discount in most states. Each insurance company has different qualifications, however usually you must maintain at least a “B” average to receive this discount. Annual savings are usually around 15%.
- Good Driver Discount: While being deemed a “good driver” is usually based upon how clean your driver record is, this is not the only factor insurance companies take into account when giving this discount. Factors such as where you live and where your car is parked most of the time also affect your eligibility for the Good Driver Discount.
- Low Mileage Discount: Statistics show that the less you drive, the less likely you are to be involved in a costly accident. Although each insurance company that offers this discount has slightly different qualifications and rates, drivers can typically save between 10-15% on their premiums for driving less than 7,500-15,000 miles per year (approximately).
- Military Discount: If you currently are, or were at one point, a part of the military, you and your family could be eligible for up to a 15% discount on your insurance. This is offered by most insurance carriers, but you may have to inquire with your agent to receive this discount.
- Multiple Car Discount: This is probably one of the easiest, and most common, discounts to receive. You can save money on your insurance simply by putting more than one vehicle on a single policy.
- Long-Term Customer Discount: Some insurance companies offer discounts ranging from 5-15% if you stay with them for a predetermined number of years. It is important to note that while sticking with one company may get you a discount, your premium could still be more expensive than switching insurance providers.
Getting discounts on your auto insurance doesn’t take long and it isn’t difficult, but it can save you tons in the long run. Inquire about which discounts you qualify for with your insurance provider and start saving today.